- Delivers newscasts; announces radio playlist of musical selections; gives weather and traffic conditions; delivers sport scores, statistics and upcoming game information.
- Comments on music and other matters of interest to audience (e.g. time, weather, traffic conditions) and may interview musical personalities and members of listening audience.
- Typically specializes in one type of music (e.g. classical, pop, rock, country and western, etc.).
- Writes, reviews and/or edits news copy, introductions, public service announcements, commercials, pre-recorded reports, contests, etc.
- Participates in promotional events.
- May be responsible for operating control board for studios and remote programming.
- May directly sell advertising space to advertisers.
- Regulates program timing, operates syndicated programming, and plays commercials.
- Monitors the technical quality and accuracy of incoming and outgoing on-air programming from master control room.
- Protects station’s license by censoring live programs and deleting words/phrases not permitted on air.
- Processes time-out programming for accurate play back.
- Checks studio equipment for proper functioning and notifies Engineering of technical malfunctions affecting quality of the broadcast.
- Handles emergency inserts (e.g. news updates and breaking stories, emergencies, alert system tests, etc.).
- Socially informed and perceptive; up-to-date and in tune with the local and national trends and/or specialized knowledge of topics/events related to on-air discussions
- Pleasant, charismatic and well-controlled voice; excellent pronunciation
- Well-rounded communication skills for conducting interviews
- Ability to make others feel comfortable and open up on air
- Excellent writing and editing skills; proficient in grammar
- Proficient in media production and broadcast systems
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and social networking
- May require selling skills
- May require other language proficiency, e.g., Spanish
- 1-2 years’ experience as an announcer in smaller market or college station environment
- 4-year college degree, preferably in Communications or Broadcast Journalism
- None required
Benefits & Perks
- Salary to be determined by multiple factors including but not limited to relevant experience, knowledge, skills, other job-related qualifications, and alignment with market data.
- $20.00 - $27.50
- iHeartMedia’s benefits offering is flexible and offers a variety of choices to meet the diverse needs of our changing workforce, including the following:
- Employer sponsored medical, dental and vision with a variety of coverage options (employees meeting ACA measurement)
- A 401K plan
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) at no cost – services include telephonic counseling sessions, consultation on legal and financial matters, emotional well-being, family and caregiving
- A range of additional voluntary programs, such as spending accounts, student loan refinancing, accident insurance and more!
This job has expired but you can still explore other open positions from the same company or find new ones from our amazing selection.
Discover more jobs
With over a quarter of a billion monthly listeners in the U.S. and over 129 million social followers, iHeartMedia has the largest national reach of any radio or television outlet in America. As the leader in multiplatform connections, it also serves over 150 local markets through 858 owned radio stations, and the company’s radio stations and content can be heard on AM/FM, HD digital radio, satellite radio, on the Internet at iHeartRadio.com and on the company’s radio station websites, on the iHeartRadio mobile app, in enhanced auto dashes, on tablets, wearables and smartphones, and on gaming consoles. iHeartRadio, iHeartMedia’s digital radio platform, is the fastest growing digital audio service in the U.S., available on over 260 platforms and 2000+ devices. iHeartRadio offers users thousands of live radio stations, personalized custom artist stations created by just one song or seed artist and the top podcasts and personalities. With over 1.7 billion downloads, iHeartRadio reached 110 million registered users faster than any other radio or digital music service. iHeartMedia’s platforms include radio broadcasting, online, mobile, digital and social media, podcasts, personalities and influencers, live concerts and events, syndication, music research services and independent media representation. iHeartMedia is a division of iHeartMedia, Inc. (PINK: IHRT). Visit iHeartMedia.com for more company information.