Associate Director, Social Media
Condé Nast is a global media company producing the highest quality content with a footprint of more than 1 billion consumers in 32 territories through print, digital, video and social platforms. The company’s portfolio includes many of the world’s most respected and influential media properties including Vogue, Vanity Fair, Glamour, Self, GQ, The New Yorker, Condé Nast Traveler/Traveller, Allure, AD, Bon Appétit and Wired, among others. Condé Nast Entertainment was launched in 2011 to develop film, television and premium digital video programming.
Pitchfork is looking for a creative and innovative media talent to join our audience development, social, and analytics team. A perfect candidate will understand how to use social media to develop, engage, and inform audiences across platforms and be clued in on emerging networks and how Pitchfork can use them effectively. The associate director will oversee the team's social media managers and freelancers and is responsible for all of Pitchfork’s output on social platforms.
They should be comfortable both setting high-level strategies and digging into the daily process by writing, editing, and defining the visual direction of social content. This person will work closely with Pitchfork’s director of audience development, its analyst, editors, staff writers, and designers to optimize content for social platforms, using analytics-based strategies to increase audience engagement, social referrals, affiliate revenue, and other revenue opportunities. They should also be comfortable taking a leadership position for social inside Pitchfork, working cross-functionally with PR, video teams, commercial team, art and design, and editorial on all the ways social media is central to the brand’s continued success. They will also be part of the larger audience development team at Condé Nast. Along with a passion for storytelling and attention to detail, the candidate must have in-depth social media experience and a proven history of growing social audiences.
The role is intended for someone who cares deeply about music, has strong writing skills, knowledge of analytical tools, and is enthusiastic about leading an agile team. This person has an instinct for what’s on (and off) brand, has an eye for powerful visuals, understands how data can inform a smart editorial and social strategy, and is an expert at juggling multiple projects, managing deadlines, distilling social numbers into actionable insights, communicating to brand leadership on strategy and performance, and advocating for strong social content across the organization. They must be a collaborator and leader, stretching across Pitchfork’s edit, video, commercial, and other teams to produce results in traffic, revenue, and audience growth.
- Take strategic ownership of Pitchfork's social platforms, guiding high-level strategy and day-to-day optimizations to increase traffic, impressions, and revenue
- Manage team of social media managers and multimedia producers, helping them develop their skills and grow their careers
- Collaborate with editors, staff writers, video, PR and designers to develop content packages and rollout strategies that are optimized for social media
- Work in partnership with audience development to continually improve how social media drives loyalty and revenue
- Work with Pitchfork’s sales and marketing team on sponsorship opportunities in addition to the commerce team on new activations and testing
- Build relationships with senior stakeholders and other social and audience development leaders across Condé Nast, developing and advocating for social media best practices
- Define a distinctive, balanced visual aesthetic for Pitchfork’s social presence with original content and reach-driven visuals. Oversee planning and execution of Pitchfork’s social video and images with a hands-on approach to visual direction and editing
- Pitch and develop social-first franchises with opportunity for both audience growth, brand-building, and revenue
- Create and manage a social calendar in collaboration with editorial, video, commercial, PR, and consumer marketing teams
- Report on content performance and present social insights and best practices to Pitchfork’s editorial leadership and editorial team
- Adjust social strategy according to KPI pacing and report on any wins and losses
- Brainstorm new ideas and plan rollout strategies for testing with the audience development team, editorial, PR, video and more
- Spearhead, manage, and oversee social content partnerships both within Condé Nast and across the web with like-minded brands
- Lead social strategy for Pitchfork’s growing events and festival business
- Minimum 6 years experience in social media, ideally having worked closely with both editorial and audience development teams, including management experience
- Proven experience exceeding goals in audience growth, engagement, referrals, and commerce strategy
- Professional experience creating and optimizing content for platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, and more
- Professional experience with publishing and analytics tools including SocialFlow, CrowdTangle, Facebook Insights, Parse.ly, and Google Analytics
- Experience creating visual assets with Photoshop and/or IllustratorComfortable shooting social videos and photos in addition to directing visual creation
- Strong writing and communication skills, both in social copy and in presenting to leadership, strong editorial judgment, and strong understanding of Pitchfork’s content, tone, voice, and visual style
- Excellent organizational skills, focus, and attention to detail
- Experience planning and executing social media coverage around live events, music festivals, and/or major industry events
Condé Nast is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, familial status and other legally protected characteristics.
How to apply
Apply via link
Discover more jobs
Pitchfork is the music world's most trusted voice in music, with expansive daily coverage of indie rock, hip-hop, electronic, pop, metal, and experimental music.