Director of Education
Jefferson Center seeks a dynamic Director of Education to lead and manage our efforts to reach every child who can be inspired by music.
This position will lead and direct the day-to-day activities of the Harry and Lavon Webb Education Program including the Music Lab with the goal to achieve and exceed annual workplan objectives.
- Manage Educational initiatives with the Executive Director, in alignment with the Jefferson Center’s strategic direction.
- Lead and direct the day-to-day activities of the Education department to achieve and exceed annual workplan objectives (participant goals, and financial results).
- Lead departmental budgeting and financial planning processes and ensure accurate execution and management, including detailed budget preparation and execution for all Center-presented or produced education programs.
- Travel to attend programming conferences.
- Work with Senior Leadership Team (that includes areas of Finance and Development) to support Executive Leadership and Jefferson Center’s Strategic Plan and operations.
- Coordinate with Senior Leadership Team to adhere to administrative practices that include scheduling, payroll, budgets, and purchasing.
- Works with Development in support of fundraising related to grants and sponsorships for Education, by collaborative prospecting, preparation of materials, direct appeals, donor relations, and other related functions.
- Attend performances and donor events, as necessary and identified by Executive Director and Senior Leadership Team.
- Leads the recruitment, selection, training, and annual evaluation of Education staff/faculty.
- Prepare for and participate in Board of Directors meetings as required.
- Set short and long-term goals for the Education programs, including the work of the Music Lab, the 21st Century Community Learning Center partnership, and more, to maximize human, technology, and arts education capacities in making meaningful impacts throughout the Roanoke community.
- Work with programming manager on collaborative projects that support students through programming.
- Build curriculum to ensure a vibrant and successfully structured outreach program.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to manage a small team of individuals in the implementation of multiple initiatives, simultaneously. Equal ability to work positively alongside and as part of a team in a professional and friendly manner.
- Ability to effectively communicate in both written and verbal communications.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to details and accuracy.
- A deep love of students and the power of arts education.
- Bachelor's degree in music, music education, music business or related experience.
- Competency on at least one instrument.
- Experience in music production and recording. The Music Lab is a full-service music studio.
- At least five years’ experience teaching (group and individual) and operating an educational program with a proven track record of curriculum development, program growth, and quantitative and qualitative results.
Benefits & Perks
Jefferson Center offers a 4% match through a 401k plan, dental, a generous Paid Time Off plan, and an option to purchase health insurance through our provider.
How to apply
Send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com by May 15th or Click apply button.
Discover more jobs
Jefferson Center is a multi-purpose Performing Arts and Cultural Center in Roanoke, VA. Through the Harry and Lavon Webb Education Program, we connect with students of all ages with exceptional recording and performance infrastructure. The Music Lab is our core program, a fuly outfitted recording and performance space.